Sunday, January 25, 2009

Stream of consciousness

I miss baseball. I miss knowing all the players on my fave team and knowing their stats. I miss knowing who they are by their numbers. Without cable, I don't get to watch the Cubs. Reading about them online just is NOT the same thing. Cable seems like a frivolous expense. We get four or five channels now, all the biggies except for CBS. I don't need to spend yet MORE time planted on my butt in front of an electronic screen. But I miss baseball. It was such an integral part of the family when I was a kid. In the summer, Dad was always listening to a game on the radio in the kitchen while we watched our beloved Cubbies in the living room. Poor man was a White Sox fan with five Cub-fan kids.

We'd play Hot Box in the road. One runner between two bases. I never could outrun that ball. But it was sooooooo much fun to be outside, running around, playing with all the other kids. Being one of the youngest, I always felt like I had to justify my presence, try harder to fit in and be accepted. Bro and John E. were so cool, and their friends: Brian H., Jeff T., Joe With The 'Fro... and that one kid, Joe of the Motorcycles. So cool. Childhood had its challenges, but Summer held only joy and magic, at least in memory.

I should be reading a book to be prepared for a book club, but instead, I'm running around childhood summers! Procrastination, you are my friend!

Cleo is helping me procrastinate. She's lying on my lap, snoring. Cleo is a very old cat. She's 18 or 19 (Mr Handsome can't quite remember when he rescued her). Her back legs are getting weak, she's developing dementia, I worry about her kidney disease. She's been in my life longer than any other cat and longer than many friends. I'm trying to prepare myself for the time (in the far, far distant future, of course) when she will not be here any more. I stare at her, trying to memorize her sweet features and beautiful coloring.

Eeek! I'm getting sentimental, veering on maudlin! Ok, the visit with Homegirls was great, as always! Miss California had a full docket, but made time for me and Homegirl. DeadGirl was out of town, helping some friends come to terms with the loss of a friend (for which I honor her, as she had already said her goodbyes and this trip would not be easy for her). MC and HG and I just hung out, nothing exciting, but so GREAT to just talk and eat and connect. I miss us being together. I hope we can all go visit Miss Cali and Minnesota Man soon. No one was comfortable having her picture put up here, so I am unable to share any pics with you, Sis and Bro. But they said Hi back! :)

Gotta go read now. YAY! I love that I HAVE to read for my job!

























(picture credit: http://www.herndonfineart.com/barnet.htm)

No comments: