Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hobby House

We got to the Hobby House (HH) and there was a LOT of cleaning to do, just so we could move around. We did a very cursory job, 'cause, geez-oh-peets, we could've spent all day cleaning. No point in making it perfect, when so much messy work is still to be done, such as bashing out and replacing the walls, replacing the entire electric system, adding heat vents, etc. and etc. And that's not even including the disaster zone that is the kitchen. Yikes. It's really gross in there. The ceiling is crumbling due to roof leakage, the floor is spongy and there's a strong mold smell. ew.

I won't even talk about the bathroom. But Mr. Handsome did rig up a shower! He's so clever!











Anyhoo, I swept and mopped and cleaned the sinks, toilet and tub. Handsome vacuumed and barricaded the holes in the walls and floors so the kitties wouldn't get dirty, stuck, sick from ingesting poison. While we were cleaning, we kept them trapped out in the porch. Cleo was growling and hissing and prowling the whole time. Poor Bubbles! He had to keep his distance! She's not a very nice cat, in her old age. When we were done with the initial cleaning, we let the kitties out so they could explore the living room and kitchen. We kept the bedroom door shut the whole time we were there; that's were all the junk was!

We went out for a burger and a beer and went back to see how the kitties had settled in. They were ok, actually. We brought Cleo's nest and heating pad, so she had her "safe place," though she continued hissing and growling the whole time we were there. Bubba did ok, not too anxious.








We fed the mews and set up house. Put our snacks and drinks away, did more cleaning, set up the air mattress. Pretty soon it was dinner time (vacation is all about the food, isn't it?). We were filthy and I didn't bring a separate pair of jeans or a skirt or anything but the jeans I wore, 'cause I didn't realize how much dirt there was there, didn't realize how dirty I'd get doing "a little cleaning" as Handsome put it. But we went anyway, to a VERY nice restaurant called Arboreal Inn. It lists itself as casual, but I wish I'd worn a skirt, instead of jeans. Most men were wearing a tie and most women were kinda dressy, too. No biggie. It's a tourist town, after all; I'm sure they didn't care we were wearing jeans! It's kind of off the beaten track, but in a lovely setting and just a charming, old-fashioned place. Our waitress was young, inexperienced and nervous, but did an ok job and was very sweet. The food was yummy!

We came back and played cards on the porch, listening to Drew Nelson's new CD Dusty Road to Beulah Land. Great album! We played Crazy Eights and I won 4 out of 6. YAY! I hardly EVER beat Mr Handsome! We were able to watch the remants of the sunset from the porch. It was nice!

The next day we slept in and I IMed with my sibs and Spymaster, thanks to a "borrowed" unsecured 'net connection. I had to stay all snugged up next to an open window, but it worked!

I felt guilty every time a neighbor walked by, mere feet from my IM window!







Bubba loved how much attention he got while we were there. We both played with him a LOT.

He's so easy to play with. Just pull a string along the ground and you've caught him! We call it "fishing for Bubba."








We had time to play with him, because of the lousy internet connection. We knew we were Internet Addicts, but didn't realized just how much. Sheee-it. We are both lost to the addiction. * sigh * We'll work on that. Anyway, Bubs loved all the play time. Cleo just enjoyed her warm nest. She even stopped growling and hissing at every glance or touch!
















Speaking of nests, Bubba found a HUGE nest of flying ants making condos and shopping districts in the kitchen ceiling. YUCK! YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!! I didn't get a picture of the ant nest before Handsome destroyed it; just a pic of some straggler ants being sucked up by the utility vacuum.

ew ew ew ew ew ew.










We went out for lunch in Grand Haven and then walked over to a very pretty park. It had mature trees, rolling dunes, nice trails. Right in the town! Nice place! We'll visit it again.










The beaches were crowded with folks watching a kite festival and competition. It was VERY windy and also pretty chilly, so we didn't hang around too long. (I didn't have my camera with me, so the pic is from the Great Lakes Kite Festival flikr set.) It all felt very small-town-goodnessey!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a very productive weekend at the HH!

Am I hopelessly time-challenged or is it still Tuesday as I comment?

Your cats have no pupils.

Love,
Sis

ps: oddly, my verification word is "antsa"

Homebody said...

I time traveled, backwards and forwards! I put tomorrow's date on this post, thinking it wouldn't post until tomorrow and then people (ha! meaning YOU!) wouldn't miss the REAL post for today.
I'm now confused and need the TARDIS and the Doctor (#4 or #9, please).
Love you, Sis!
Sis
PS verification word weirdness!!!

Jill Knapp said...

Hi, My name is Jill Knapp over at "Get up and Get Moving"
I just had my drawing for my give away for the Exercise Anywhere Cards.
You have Won!!:-)
Please e-mail me with your address so I can send them to you.

getupandgetmoving@live.com

Thank you for adding your tip! Come back for a visit anytime! By the way I visited your blog and really enjoyed my visit.
Happy Wednesday.

Jill

Homebody said...

WOO HOO!!! I am GEEKED! These cards sound really, truly useful, not full of nonsense. I am SOOOOO glad I won a set!
Thank you, Jill, at http://getupandgetmoving.net/. She has a truly inspiring story, people; go check out her site.