Tuesday, May 26, 2009

knitting

I really enjoy knitting. I mean, I REALLY enjoy knitting! It's wonderful to be creating something, doing something, clicky-clicky-clicky (I have aluminum needles, for the most part) that you can then share and/or USE! But the whole process is just fun! I'm not sure why, exactly. I can't knit in the round (circular knitting) , I can't make anything except squares/rectangles, I can't do cables or lace or anything but knit and purl... but I just love to knit. The softness of the yarn, the colors expanding between my hands, dripping down to my lap, the quietness, the busyness, the focus, the sociableness.... I just love it.

California Girl wants me to make her something, but she says she won't use it! "I'll put it away to keep it nice," she said. But NOOOO!!!!! I want her to USE it and think of me each time (or at least occasionally when) she uses it! Dead Girl said she'd love to have something and would definitely use it, so I AM working on a project for her right now (shhhhh! Don't tell!). I have to admit, I'm a bit ashamed to give someone a humble washcloth, dishcloth, dishtowel, or scarf, but that's all I can make. Hometown Girl is a talented crocheter herself, so I've never even offered! What I SHOULD do is ask for crochet lessons!

Sis, I was going to make you legwarmers, I really was, I even found a way to make them without having to knit in the round (see crazy video above - HARD!) but I chickened out. I made you a scarf, but then you said you didn't LIKE scarves! So, I'd love to make you something, but WHAT?!? Ok, I'll go back to the legwarmer idea... or maybe writst/arm warmers? A shawl? Lemme know! :)

This is my latest project, actually finished now, but no picture of it finished, sorry. There are two of them! I was going to give them away, but then Bubba cacked up a chihuahua-sized hairball on them. Seriously! It was a HUGE hairball! I'm sure he feels much better, and I washed them and everything (you can't tell he ever cacked-up on them), but I just don't feel right giving away something Mr. Bubbles vomited on, y'know?

Right now, I'm finishing up a long, blue, really soft scarf and I'm making some washcloths that look cabled, but it's really just alternating knitting and purling (thank you, Crazy Aunt Purl!). It looks GREAT though! I'm using a VERY bright yellow, 100% cotton yarn. It's a super-cheery yellow, not retina-burning. It's SUNNY FUN!

No comments: