Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Teapot



I was just going to read all day today. It's rainy and chilly (55F) and dark; perfect for just cuddling up with the kitties and reading. For some reason, I decided to go Thrifting! I was on a Mission: A teapot and/or a vanity/stand mirror (preferably double-sided). I did find a mirror, but it was broken. sad.
I went to three places and DID find the PERFECT teapot! I know it as a French Teapot, one with a lined cozy. Those are pictures of a French or Salam teapot, similar to what I found:
"The Salam teapot was first produced in 1953 by french silversmith Guy Degrenne. It's made of double-walled bone china, and insulated by a felt-lined stainless steel cozy which fits over it like a sleeve."

Mine has a cozy made of some kind of metal, painted with white/cream enamel, to match the teapot. These puppies retail for over $30. I got mine at GW for $1.99! WHEE!!! I'lve wanted one for years, ever since I worked at Marshall Field's (now M@cy's). I loved them, coveted them, but couldn't rationalize spending what amounts to a nice dinner out on a teapot. So, now I've got one, for less than lunch!




I made a tea cozy, themed on the famous ostrich-feather-dress-dance, in Top Hat, for Sis. Sis, do you have a picture? I'm proud of that tea cozy, made large to accomodate any pot, out of white fleece for good heat retention and beauty, with feather dress, shoes, hair, tuxedo, hat, and safety-pinned on for easy cleaning! It's the only teacozy I've ever made. Mr. Handsome made us a tea cozy from an old, worn-out down comforter - it keeps things HOT! It's just a teesy bit snug, for most pots, is the thing. Right now, at this VERY moment, I'm using my French teapot AND Mr Handsome's tea cozy. A good day for hot tea!

I love making things, 'specially when they're JUST RIGHT . I just made Ma Handsome a push-pin topped with one of her grandchildren's photo. She actually didn't recognize the tot at ALL, thought it might be a pic of ME! This is a kid she's seen weekly for over seven years. Anyhoo, I was planning on making her a bunch of them for Christmas, but now I'm not sure! Maybe I'll still do it and lable them for her. Maybe, being out of context, the photos mystify her.

Anyhoo, here's a link to something similar to what I made for her. I just glued a card-board-backed-pic to a pushpin. I didn't add the glass marble.
I did make some magnets out of those half-marbles, though, for the store, with pictures of writers or sexy readers, etc.. I gave 'em away. They were my first batch and weren't very good. The next batch, maybe I'll charge a fee.


This was a popular magnet!


Should I make some and give them away for Christmas?

No comments: