Thursday, May 8, 2008

Create

I adore thrift store shopping. It's all about the quest. I'll ask friends and family if there's anything I can look for, for them, just so I'm sure to HAVE a quest, as opposed to just general browsing ('cause that would be lazy???). I've been looking at recycle-idea sites a lot lately (recyclethis.uk.com is a current fave) and got inspired to make a tee shirt bag for groceries, library books, whatev. Not as a purse, though. I'm too old to have something that funky (in the cool sense) as a purse. I used to have a purse made of vinyl records with a chain for a handle. It was AWESOMELY COOL! But it broke. Records break.
I'm tempted to make one myself, with records I like. This one came with Cat Stevens on one side and Alabama on the other. Neither would be my choice for a purse, but it was still a cool purse. My bro-in-law races sailboats and has a grommet punch thingy, so I could borrow that to make my own, but... I lack courage. What if I fail?!? as though that matters... I get so frustrated with myself, my lack of courage and follow-through, my general wimpiness and low self-esteem.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my tee shirt tote, even got a compliment on it! AND, it was EASY to make! So, I think if I use a thicker, colored tee, it'll work even better. I liked the touristy Hong Kong-ness of this tee. I got it at a church's free give-away. I wonder who went to Hong Kong and if they have pictures in their photo albums wearing this very tee!

I'm thinking about making pillow covers or even a throw blanket from old sweaters. hmmm... I'm afraid! What if it looks bad??? See, most things I make look like a kindergartener made it. So, then I never try again. Which is stupid, 'cause practice makes, well, better, if not perfect!

No comments: