Saturday, May 10, 2008

Treasures!

I got to hang out with The Blonde and her mom today! Her mom is the originator of the advice "Don't EVER have that third Manhattan." CLASSIC! I have wanted to sit down and chat with this woman for about 10 years! I've wanted to ask her all kinds of questions about what it was like to live in the 1950's and '60's. Y'know, Cocktail Culture! Mid-Century Design! The Rat Pack! Unfortunately, today was not that opportunity, but she is a sweetheart and we did all enjoy a Screwdriver before we went Antiqueing. I use that term lightly, 'cause, though we did go to an avowed Antique store, there was lots of junk, too, and prices were great! So, I lump it in with Thrifting or at least Junqueing.



I was on a fish kick today. Fish and owls, but I didn't bring home any owls. The reason for the fish is this collection. I've been collecting the Libby brand "Atomic Fish Glasses" for several years. I think they're so fun! They're just cute and funny yet stylish and not cutesy. I love the turquoise and silver and the stylized fish graphic. I just love these. Today, I bought the medium-sized rock glass. There's a snack bowl out there somewhere in the universe; I remain ever hopeful that I can find it someday....


I recently decided that Mr. Handsome and I needed, not wanted, needed, in fact, required cute salt & pepper shakers for our "nest," our TV room. I found some cute skunks, really cute, and appropriate, since our neighborhood has a skunk problem every summer, but I couldn't get their case open. I also found these guys:

They have a little twisty tail, like they're swimming!


Hey, they matched my "Theme of the Day."


Then, I found a planter that was just so... random. Why would anyone want this? I HAD to have it!


The Lilies of the Valley are from our garden

This is actually much prettier in real life! He's grown on me. I bought him as a joke, but I love him, now.


For the garden, I want to find gnomes. Fat-cheeked, white-bearded, red-panted gnomes. But, they cost more than I want to spend, especially for something that Mr. Handsome does NOT want. I haven't been able to find any used or anything, but The Blonde's mom found these guys!





I decided to put them in my houseplants, standing on little glass coasters to protect them from the soil.





Today was a great day, I had so much fun exploring the Antique place and finding stuff for The Blonde, too. She collects all kinds of things so it's always lots of fun to go Junqueing with her. She got some vintage, quirky postcards and some vintage kid's books. I wish I'd brought my camera with us!

Yesterday, I went back to the town I grew up in and met up with Sheri, Bonnie and Michelle. THAT deserves a post all its own! Sadly, no pictures of that trip, but it was a BLAST!


Now, it's time for a locally brewed beverage. Yum!

No comments: