Monday, April 27, 2009

'S all good!

I had a colonoscopy this morning and all is well. I have a hangover from the sedation, but everything is ok. I was so, so , so sooooooo scared about it. Not about the day-before prep (no food; laxative; drink vast quantity of Gatorade with stuff in it to make ya poo), no that didn't bother me a bit. It was the knowledge that I'd be sedated and not remember what I said or did. In the past, I've had a difficult time coming out of anesthetic (after a bone graft) and I'm terrified of being conscious but unable to open my eyes, weeping uncontrollably, and saying weird stuff.

When I had the nerve and tendon repair done on my thumb (a few years after the bone graft on my wrist), I BEGGED the anesthesiologist to just give me a local. He just laughed at me. For that one, I woke up just fine (remember that Sis? Remember how scared I was? I was so happy to see you and Jim at my side as I came out of recovery. Thank you for being there, Honey!) But the fear has stayed.

So, for this, it wasn't so much the undignified position, the "ick" factor, or anything like that that made me afraid: It was the sedation. Well, I did ok. I said a few silly things, like "ooooh! Sparkly!" when I saw the pictures of my innards - one of them was just really sparkly, really! And I blathered on about how much I like to push buttons when I watched the nurse mess around with a machine. Also, I was fascinated by the simplicity of my sedation regulator-thingy, I pointed out how ingenious it was in its efficiency and simple design. geez. Then, when I was supposed to be resting, I really wanted to do yoga. The helper-lady discouraged me and seemed a bit miffed that I was so chipper, but I was raring to go! She made us wait a little while, until I just decided it was time and started getting dressed. Then she said "I guess you're ready to go." To be honest I had a killer buzz goin' on. Excellent druggage. 'Cept, now I have a hangover from it! HA!



















Afterwards, we went out for breakfast to Marie Catrib's, where we got delish chow and sweet service. Then, we went to "Sally Ann" and I got some cute skirts and a couple tops and a Red Wings cap and a cute pair of shoes. THEN, we went to Jersey Junction and I got a double chocolate malted. YUM! We lounged on the airing porch until it started to rain and then I napped. Now it's time for Pizza and Doctor Who! And later, it's "Chuck" night! I loooove that show.

No comments: