Friday, August 14, 2009

painting

urgh, I just don't enjoy this process, this process of washing, rinsing, skimcoating, patching, priming, painting, cleaning up... ick. I just keep telling myself it will be nice to have it finished.

The dining room won't even look all that different, 'cause I'm painting it a milky-cream color. Boring. But with the bright blue chair covers, dark cherry table & chairs, yellowish oak floors and sideboard, it's tough to come up with something else! I keep gravitating toward a reddish-brown color, but since that's already in the front hall and the TV room (the nest), I don't think I should do it again. Sis said "Cruella DeVille!" in response to yet another red room and I totally see her point!

Anyway, here's a "before" and then a couple of "during" for the dining room. I'm STILL not done (currently waiting for the skim coat and patching to dry), but I'll post pics then, too.






















Where the two windows are in the dining room, Mr Handsome is going to have french doors installed. He's building a deck out in the yard to connect the doors with the existing deck.










































So, since I'm SO BORED with the dining room (I mean, what's the point? It's gonna look just like it did before, sheesh, how disappointing), I'm ALSO redoing the little bathroom downstairs.

Before:
This is the little rosebud wallpaper. We all remember that pattern from the 80's, don't we?





















































The wallpaper came away deceptively easy. In fact, that part was FUN!
(Note my "Wonder Woman" watch band. That's neither here nor there; I just like it.)









yummy beer always helps.





The craptastic part is where the skimcoat is coming away WITH the paper or just crumbling into dust if you look at it sharply. Dang stuff. Though tiny, this room is gonna be a suck project, too.











Well, enough whining and moaning. I have to go cook dinner, dust and vacuum and clean up after the cats. And I should do laundry and clean the bathroom, too. What I SHOULD do is spend less time on the computer! :-) AND I should read my little inspirational quote over there on the right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Sis! It's a lot of work, but it'll look at least cleaner, if not exactly what you want. What color for the powder room? Mr. H is lookin' pretty wow-za as a scruffy carpenter. Harrison Ford, move aside...

Love,
Sis

Homebody said...

HAHAHAHA!!!! "Indy!"

We just watched Raiders a coupla nights ago!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcwecV-Nj9U&feature=PlayList&p=E7223162F63DC71C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

I'm just gonna paint it the same creamy-milk color as the dining room. BORING. I wanted to paint it a salmon-ey pink with green trim, to play off the picture of the Art Nouveau poster girl, but Mr. H said "No, please, anything but pink!" I couldn't come up with anything else, so I'm just going to get it done. Of course, today, I did nothing but surf the 'net. Ah, well.

Love you!

Anonymous said...

It's probably my monitor settings, but your living room wall looks a lot more blue than I remember it. Weird.

Hey, what's your opinion of rooms with walls of different colors? Like 3 walls one color and one wall a different color? I've seen it done successfully here ... you could have some red in the dining room that way -- maybe the wall adjoining the living room? You'd probly have to go with a different color than boring cream for the other walls ... and that means more work.

Didn't make it to meet in the middle due to the backup at the border... so that's why I'm able to comment.

Love,
Sis

Anonymous said...

Oh, and my Cruella DeVille comment was primarily because it's a dining room. Weren't the dogs in her dining room when they made that observation? I could look it up in my very own copy of the book! YAY!

Hope the painting and carpentry are going well!

Love,
Sis