Thursday, January 14, 2010

Winter


It's going to be warm today - into the 30's! Dressing in multiple layers has become automatic - at least two (but three is better). I remember when it first got cold this year; it was like I'd completely forgotten how to dress for cold weather. I hated the thought of always having to wear all those layers. Now, I don't even think about it. It's like the memory of warm weather has disappeared and all I know is cold.
Last winter was much colder. I do remember that. I remember thinking it was a heat wave when it reached double digits. We've rarely reached the single digits this year ('cept maybe overnight a few times). And there's been a reliable layer of fresh snow on the ground, so everything looks pretty and clean and bright. It's been a good winter so far!
I think I'm dwelling on this subject because I just saw an ad for a Caribbean getaway (some resort or another). The picture was so beautiful, all blue water, golden sands, green palm trees. And there were no people in the picture. It was easy to imagine being there. Lovely and quiet and warm. ahhhh....



Last Monday, I went over to Bro's to play chess. My assumption was that I would kick his rook all over the board. I WOULD WIN!!!! Nope. He beat me three times in a ROW! I'm looking forward to our next matchup, when I will concentrate harder and I WILL WIN!!! hee hee! Really, though, win or lose, it's so much fu to play, to hang out with my Bro and play chess. I love it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great picture of the snow through your new doors! It almost looks like the chandelier is nature invading your inside -- all ice-crystal-y and kinda random juxtaposed to the geometric shapes of the windows and furniture.

It's in the 50's here and raining! Much warmer and better than last year.

Love ya!!

Sis

Anonymous said...

Oh, and look at that little houseplant in the corner - feeling all cozy and warm as it looks out on it's wild and frozen bretheren...

... and I haven't had anything stronger than aspirin.

Love,
Sis

Homebody said...

Hee hee! The chandelier as invading nature - I love it! The little houseplant is a BLOOMING geranium, hot pink blossoms. It's so strange to see hot pink petals right next to ice and snow.
I wish you were here to see it firsthand, Sis.
Love you BUNCHES!