Thursday, February 17, 2011

* gasp * choke * gahhh *

Last week, I went to an exercise class called Full Mighty Boot Camp. As I've grown to look a great deal like my sofa over the last couple of years, due to too much DVD watching and web surfing, I knew it would be a challenge. I actually did pretty well! I felt it, I mean, I found muscles I'd packed away and forgotten about, but I was able to do pretty much everything the amazing instructor asked. It felt like a gentle but strong workout and so I approached today with enthusiasm.

Today was completely different. I felt like this:

I couldn't complete a few of the exercises, I had to take a serious break.  Embarrassing.  But it showed me how truly out of shape I am.  Also, that one should definitely eat SOMETHING before working out so hard.  I only had coffee.  I just couldn't face food; I didn't get much sleep last night.

Cleo has been ... well, it's clear her body is slowing down and she's not doing really well.  She's had several more episodes.  She doesn't seem to be suffering, but she certainly has a difficult time in the middle of the night being comfortable.  She cries a lot (dementia, we trust, not pain) and is extremely restless.  She walks all over me and tries to sit on my head.  I try everything I can think of to make her comfortable - nothing works.  Then, during the day, she seems fine.  Really old, frail, sure; but fine.  It's very frustrating.  I don't want to euthanize her if the time is not right.  But I don't want her to suffer.  I used to tell clients at the vet clinic that they'd know when it's right, and I still believe that.

So, it's off to work for me, sore and worried and tired.

No comments: